TOWARD A DEFINITION OF RADIO ART
- Radio art is the use of radio as a medium for art
- Radio happens in the place it is heard and not in the production studio.
- Sound quality is secondary to conceptual originality.
- Radio is almost always heard combined with other sounds - domestic, traffic, tv, phone calls, playing children etc.
- Radio art is not sound art - nor is it music. Radio art is radio.
- Sound art and music are not radio art just because they are broadcast on the radio.
- Radio space is all the places where radio is heard.
- Radio art is composed of sound objects experienced in radio space.
- The radio of every listener determines the sound quality of a radio work.
- Each listener hears their own final version of a work for radio combined with the ambient sound of their own space.
- The radio artist knows that there is no way to control the experience of a radio work.
- Radio art is not a combination of radio and art. Radio art is radio by artists.