horizontal radio - the story so far ...
The EBU Ars Acustica Experts’ Group convened a meeting in Vienna at
the start of the year 1994 at which participants were invited to outline
and develop basic concepts and structures for a "live radio project
This meeting was attended by: Andres Bosshard, Heidi Grundmann, Jose
Iges, Concha Jerez, Gerfried Stocker.
The main points are as follows:
- horizontal radio is a live event
- It confronts traditional performance forms with the possibilities
of new interactive communications networks
- The idea is not to stage a "big show” under centralized artistic
production, but to network autonomous events.
- Using the broad range of technical resources available,
interconnections are set up to create an additional common forum for
activity, the "telematic electronic space”, where the various
protagonists have a chance to meet.
Building on this idea, the next step is to construct an open, flexible
network structure which will allow the widest possible participation,
even on a low budget.
On a time level:
- Individual stations can make their own choice about when they
want to take part in the performance and for how long (several log-ins,
spread across the whole duration of the event, are possible).
On a technical level:
- It is important that expensive stereo lines should not be a
prerequisite. Very effective participation is also possible through
standard phone lines, ISDN, or computer networks such as the Internet.
the meeting in wrozlav