Born in 1971 in Lyon (France), Xavier Fassion studied improvised music, history of music, percussion and composition at the Conservatoire of Strasbourg. Meets Steve Reich to perform « Sextet » and « six marimbas » then the choregrapher Mark Tompkins with whom he discovers contact-dance. Then considering dance as an extension of music he collaborates in various projects with dance companies as musicien (Drums, installations) and dancer. In the same time, he dedicates himself to electroacoustic music and realise different pieces with the Groupe de Musique Electroacoustique d’Albi (F), the DeutschlandRadiokultur in Berlin, the RTBF among others.
„(Un)trained at the Conservatoire de Strasbourg, I swiftly left the high way, taking side tracks that lead me to contemporary and improvised music, herbalism, contact dance (a rebirth), Rock music, temperate forests and a couple of stereo microphones (a revelation). Since then, I’ve been beating skins and metals, dancing in heaps, sounding the air, nourishing paper.
- 10 days with Thad Wheeler of the Steve Reich Ensemble.
- 1 month in Mongolia.
- 2 years with the choreographer Mark Tompkins.
- 3 years in a village of the French Jura Mountains.“
- Rock Album “Crowd Drawings” with Drey. Anti Matière. Chronowax (2000)
- “COHCOX”, an approach to Mongolia. “Musique et quotidien sonore” Festival, Albi (2002-5)
- “Lison”, Portrait of a spring in the French Jura mountains. With the contribution of Philippe Petitgenêt. Residence in Groupe de Musiques Electroacoustiques d’Albi (2002)
- “Lebe Wohl meine Stimme”, a feature about the Berlin PhonogrammArchiv wax cylinders collection. With the contribution of Marcus Gammel. DeutschlandRadioKultur (2004)
- “Wachsgesänge” (Wax song). Berlin. With the contribution of Marcus Gammel. DeutschlandRadioKultur (2005)
„Crouzet-Migette: un village, une année“. Soundscape documentary about a village in the French Jura mountains. With the complicity of Dominick Martinot-Lagarde. RTBF (2007)
- “Wachsgesänge 2”. With the contribution of Marcus Gammel. DeutschlandRadioKultur (2007)
Broadcast at ORF KUNSTRADIO:
11. 11. 2007: "Crouzet-Migette"
16. 11. 2008: "Soundscape Forever - Teil 2" curated by SilenceRadio: "Sarajevo 2001"